Curriculum Vitae (2016) of
Dr Peter Charles Howie
45 Clarence St, Coorparoo,
- 2019 Urban Tantra Professional Educator, Barbara Carrelas, Melbourne, Australia
- 2019 Certified Sexological Bodyworker, Institute of Somatic Sexology, Brisbane, Australia
- 2017 Doctor of Philosophy, Griffith University, Brisbane Australia
- 2011. Master of Education, Griffith University, Brisbane, Australia
- 2006. Psychodrama Trainer Educator and Practitioner, Awarded 2006 through the Australian and New Zealand Psychodrama Association Inc (ANZPA) Board of Examiners. Training with the Queensland Training Institute of Psychodrama, Brisbane.
- 1999. Psychodrama Practitioner, Awarded 1999 through the Australian and New Zealand Psychodrama Association Inc (ANZPA) Board of Examiners. Training with the Queensland
- Queensland Training Institute of Psychodrama, Brisbane and the NSW Psychodrama Institute, Sydney.
- 1987. Diploma of Computing, the Metropolitan Business College, Sydney
- 1978. Bachelor of Science, Australian National University
Psychodrama Trainer, 2000 – 2017, Psychodrama Australia, The Moreno Collegium for Human Centred Learning Research and Development, the Queensland Training Institute of Psychodrama.
This work consisted of:
- Year-long programs of approximately 130 hours face to face experiential group work training and supervision with up to 18 people made up of evening and weekend sessions, and supplemented with writing, reading and critical reflection components
- Short term weekend programs (16 hours) with a group or psychotherapeutic focus
- Short run evening training programs (18 hours)
- Individual supervision of trainees as applied to their work
- Individual supervision of written work
Experiential group therapist using psychodrama
- Evening experiential development groups (three hours) run in series of six or eight evenings since 1993 with up to fourteen people: 400 sessions in total.
- Weekend development groups focusing on a variety of different topics: 47 programs.
- Experiential development programs focusing on men with disabilities, funded through the then Department of Families: 24 programs between 1994 ‐ 1996.
Individual, couple, and family therapy
- Working with individuals, couples, and families using a systemic, and action oriented approach since 1996
Individual and group professional supervision
- Working with managers and supervisors experiencing relational dilemmas
- Assisting managers and supervisors to determine strategic and individual priorities
- Professional supervision with nurses
- Lecturer for Coaching and Mentoring in an Educational Setting Master’s Program at Griffith University 2015 and 2016.
- Eight-day residential leadership development programs (five and three days workshops – or equivalent) for middle and senior public servants, community leaders and others, across the Queensland State Public Sector 1998 – 2017 as an external educator. Also included were extensive pre and post interviewing and preparation processes: 60 of these programs included around 1000 participants, and were extensively and independently evaluated, and led to substantial behavioural change in participants (copies of external evaluations available on request).
- Two and three day non‐residential and residential leadership ‘toolkit’ programs conducted across the public sector for all levels of the organizations: 30 programs between 2000 and 2007.
- Conducted numerous organisational development and training programs 1992 – 2019 at all levels of the Australian public sector
Sexological Body work training and experience
Training in various forms of sexological bodywork with the Institute of Somatic Sexology in Brisbane since 2012. Working under ongoing supervision and training with individual clients, couples, and with groups.
- Training in various forms of sexological bodywork with the Institute of Somatic Sexology in Brisbane since 2012.
- Annual psychodrama 3 day residential trainer development programs. ACT 1993, Auckland, 1994, 2016, 2017, Adelaide 1995, Brisbane 1996, Christchurch 1997, Perth 1999, Brisbane 2008 -2010, Melbourne 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016.
- Annual Australian Federation of Training Institutes (AFTI) conferences, Melbourne 2001 - 2004, Brisbane 2004 -2005, Sydney 2006 – 2008, Adelaide 2010 – 2012, Sydney 2013, 2014, 2016.
- AANZPA annual conferences 1994-2017.
- Australian and Aotearoa New Zealand Psychodrama Association. (President 2007-2011, Board of Examiners from 2015)
- American Society of Group Psychotherapy and Psychodrama
- Action Learning and Action Research Association
- International Association of Group Psychotherapy
- Somatic Sex Educators Association of Australasia
- Howie, P. C., (2018). Digging for gold: the search for meaning, Australian and Aotearoa New Zealand Psychodrama Association Journal, 31, 31-41.
- Howie, P. C., & Bagnall, R. G. (2018). A Criterial Framework for Concept Evaluation in Social Practice and Scholarship. Sociological Methods & Research.
- Howie, P. C,. (2017). The Reconceptualisation of the Psychodramatic Concept of Warm-up, Thesis for Doctor of Philosophy by Research, Griffith University.
- Howie, P. C., & Bagnall, R. G. (2016). A methodology for field-testing concepts using expert practitioner engagement. International Journal of Social Research Methodology.
- Howie, P. C. (2015) Psychodrama: The bare bones, in Groupwork in Australia: Volume 1, Eds. O’Sulluvan, K., King, A. & Nove, T. p 203-225.
- Howie, P. C., & Bagnall, R. G. (2015). A critical comparison of transformation and deep approach theories of learning. International Journal of Lifelong Education.
- Howie, P. C., & Bagnall, R. G. (2015). The Transmogrification of Warm-up: From Drama to Psychodrama. The Arts in Psychotherapy, (in print).
- Howie, P. C., & Bagnall, R. G. (2013). A beautiful metaphor: transformative learning theory. International Journal of Lifelong Education, 32(6), 1-21.
- Howie, P. C., & Bagnall, R. G. (2012). A critique of the deep and surface approaches to learning model. Teaching in Higher Education, 18(4), 1-12.
- Howie, P. C. (2012). Philosophy of Life: J. L. Moreno’s Revolutionary Philosophical Underpinnings of Psychodrama, and Group Psychotherapy. Group: The Journal of the Eastern Group Psychotherapy Society, 36(2), 135-146.
- Howie, P. C. (2011). Reflections on Two Models of Learning: Putting Mezirow's Model of Transformative Learning Side-by-side with Biggs's Model of Deep and Surface Approaches to Learning. Masters dissertation. Griffith University.
- Howie, P.C. (2006). Group work. In Pelling, B., Bowers, R. & Armstrong, P. (Eds.)The Practice of Counselling, Brisbane, Thomson
- Howie, P.C. (2006). Working with the ladder of inference – a psychodramatists guide, ANZPA Journal, 5, 68‐75
- Howie, P.C. & Synnot, E. (2007). Working with Indigenous community leaders in Cape York. ANZPA Journal, 16, 35 ‐ 40
- Principals of Supervision, 2006, ANZPA Board of Examiners
- Principals of Training, 2006, ANZPA Board of Examiners